Sunday, June 30, 2013

Mika's Meatballs


A staple snack for Mika almost every other week. I change between meatballs and a baked potato gratin of sorts. He has it as a snack, along with his box of fruits and main course. He is into more harder foods now and detests bananas or gooey gunk.

Makes about 50pcs depending on how small you roll them.

1 packet of minced beef (700gm)
1 clove garlic, crushed
Spring onion, chopped
Mushroom, chopped (I opt for white button or portobello)
1/4 cup of carb : couscous or boiled potatoes, mashed
1 egg
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 tablespoon worcesteir sauce (Lea Perrins) 

Pinch of :
Cumin
Paprika
Pepper
Salt (more than a pinch cause its a lot of beef to season)

Yogurt Dip

Yogurt - I opt for greek now
1 clove of crushed garlic
Chives or spring onion - chopped finely
Or, regular holland onion - chopped finely
Lemon zest
Squeeze of lemon juice
Salt & Pepper to taste

Mash all of the above between your fingers for maximum pleasure (lol sgt) but I do believe it feels good and you get all of the ingredients mixed well. I usually roll out the baby meatballs on a tray so that the workspace is kept clean and easy to maneuver.

I've experimented with various types of carb for the meatballs : cornflakes, potatoes, rice (if I use rice its usually with cheese to make fish meatballs which are yummy and bit less dense).

The dip is my take on Greek/Arabic food. Love the contrast against the dark heady meatballs. Put them in a pita bread, or over salad, its quite yummy actually. 

Have fun and let me know how it went?

***

A nice break from the normal heavy shit I write, I know. Missed this too.

No comments: