Friday, January 26, 2007

Weather Forecast

I've just received some disturbing news. Well, its in the news. Utusan Malaysia reports on an El-Nino attack on our South East Asia region from march till august. I read it here. The last attack, as reported was 10 years ago, in 1997. That got me walking a hell of a long way, ten years long long long ago. The El-Nino is expected to bring draught and perhaps the reoccurance of forest fires in the region. You remember it now? Zaman jerebu?

In 1997, I was 13 years old and studying in Kuala Pilah, Negeri Sembilan. I don't remember much about the weather back then, but I do remember the fact that there was a brief period when the water supply was not enough to accomodate the students. I never understood by what princip the Head Master held on to by not letting us all just go home.

Everyone rushed to the toilets after the afternoon prep class. No one went out to play. Even our ablutions were taken from coke bottles filled with last night's effort to contain some remains of water.

On alternate evenings, the lower forms were given permission to finish night prep classes early so that we could do our laundry, bathe and tadah air before the rest of the forms 4 & 5 got back from night prep. That time in life was very stressful. Especially to those who were getting their periods. I don't remember how my periods were, but I think I hadn't had mine yet then. Lucky me.

Then there was the jerebu event. Morning assembly was cloudy and I though that the government should have enforced all students to wear the mask thingy.

So the comeback of El-Nino is going to happen soon. And probably on a bigger scale. The thought alone is sending my system into overdrive. Somehow I believe that our time here is running out. For the day of resurrection is near.

And Allah knows best.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh budak, I so agree with you.
It's so disturbing and frightening and the end is near... gosh.

Anonymous said...

Oh oh lupa pulak. I was in sban toooo tht time. boarding school yep yep. oh it was terrible. tp seronok, x de air boleh blk rumah.ikiki.and then we all have to frequent to the kampungs nearby and mandi air perigi. How cool is tht?

Not something tht u cud experience everyday eh? Hehehhe.

oh budak, aku lupa la nak cakapkan, ashrul kata kinkin ni garang. Hohohoh. and ohh, am not so quiet anymore. For us to keep abreast of each other, i've mailed u something. Quelle suprisss! ;p

Anonymous said...

i remember mase kl '98. tgh hangat nga sukan komanwel. timer tu gak air kat klang valley lame gile takde. mmg really susah if no water. time period lg lah. abg2 sume bising coz i use the toilet too long coz they takut i gune air byka sgt. mane taknye, tgh period mase tu. guys...

last year pun ade jerebu rite, ke 2 years ago sampai class dicancelkan.

yeah, maybe the end is near...

Whiteflipflop said...

tgh-tgh org hangat memperkatakan tentang el nino and the worst dry season in history etc, i plak masih tetap terngiang-ngiang akan italian brioche itu. sesungguhnya kinkin, on my next trip to europe, akan ku selongkar setiap ceruk untuk mencari brioche itu.

bijoux said...

ayuu: merci beacoup de votre cadeux..je suis..content!! haha..soka soka..maseh ayuu!! oh yes, enino..tak pat bayangkan mcm mane. nasihat sy satu saja : cancel all weddings within that time span!! oh what a bummer my bro is to say that to u.haw haw. gelak mcm kamu japs.

kitty: aah, time sukan commonwealth tu dok keramat, tadah air ngn famili x se stress rebut2 air di hostel kan..

ell: oh my if its other than the brioche stalker! g UK nnti melantak la brioche puas2.. =) good to have u back sugahh

dick* said...

darurat! hehe. i was in kuching back then and we get 1 week cuti darurat. which was the best week we had the whole 5 years in school. hueheheh.

bijoux said...

dick: haha..best la dpt cuti.aku stuck je kat skola tadah air mcm dok kat mane jek.tak ci tol.wish us luck here when the time comes uu~