The year was 1989; I was still new to the world and wore pinafores of dark brown and on Saturdays, in checkered green. The fabric reminds me of tablecloths everyone had in their houses used back in the days. I went to school with my brother, and was awarded side-kick of the year award by him.. hey, that’s another different story.
We were just toddlers perhaps and I was an adventurous one. During this month, I’d get home and rush to the kitchen to help my mum prepare dinner. Cendol was always on the list, alongside tahu sumbat and cucur udang. My dad was a strict man, always wanting rice on the table. But I was obedient and I knew that it was only on weekends that we got out to have treats in the little town of
So by the strike of 5, I’d be covered in green pieces of flour mix up to my sleeves trying to help my mum squeeze out the cendol. That was fun. We’d always use the tin of a lychee and the day before we’d poke holes at the bottom of it to get as much cendol out on each push. The cendol would be a warm mix of flour, water, and I’m guessing some pandan flavourings. Mum would pour the mix and I’d rush to squeeze it out. Suke main main tau. Always got scolded because I’d most likely slow down the process but I always saw myself as a good kitchen helper. The cendol bits would go into a batch of ice water placed in a basin about the size of me, so that it would get gelly like in matter of minutes. I wonder why my mum wouldn’t let me take the cendol bits out and into the jugs. Would u? hehe.. but the mess we made! Our kitchen in
I don’t think I woke up for sahur during the toddler years, I don’t think I fasted at all for that matter. But my brother and I each got a vitamin C before bed, just to keep our ammunitions in tack. Yes the year was 1989, and I just realized I hadn’t started fasting then. Wonderful.
1 comment:
gud ol' time.. gud ol' time...
Post a Comment