I celebrated 5 years with the
blue family last September. Is it such a big deal? A lot of women I know are
glued stuck to their chairs for more than the stretch I did. Personally it is a
big deal since the job I have now is not what it used to be. I recall the days
when I cried refusing to go to work. I did not have a sense of belonging, I did
not understand what I am supposed to do, I was not aware of what I am actually
capable of doing. It was just a huge hot hot mess. Which brings me to why I was
a tad uptight when the 5 year stretch in the company gets shrugged off by my
own – blue folks. Lemme see you try missy. You will not know how it was like to
do everything on your own, no female friends who stuck around long enough to
remember where you lived. It was just a huge hot hot mess from the day I
started.
Like any lessons in life, once
the wheels got turning, things got relatively more easy – work got to be more pleasurable
and I made a lot of friends along the way. I definitely think I have gained
positively from the past 5 years than anything I could’ve ever done with my
life. I am happy and proud of it. My greatest achievement was making it in one
piece. Who would’ve thought I’d still be here, 5 years later? Bells ring when I
bring myself back to Uni years when the interviewer would ask where do you see
yourself in 5 years. What a flash. My advice : make your goals concise,
specific and time bound. That way, 5 years down the road you re-read your goals
and targets and have a ball scrutinizing your old self for being soooo damn naïve!
I plan to stay another 5, if He
wills it. My priorities have changed, and my resume constantly updated.
Sometimes I do it because others think I can’t which is also a motivation
factor. Mostly, I do it because I believe this is what I have to and I am yet
to say “I love my job” or.. “I am good at what I do” – YET.
Hear hear.
No comments:
Post a Comment